The Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is accepting Letters of Interest (LOIs) from the collaborative research teams composed of research agencies from both high income and low and middle income countries along with a local implementing partner actively working within Central Asia for Central Asia Health Systems Strengthening (CAHSS) Project 2014. The CAHSS is a five-year project aiming to strengthen health systems and ultimately improving health outcomes among select remote and rural populations in Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Pakistan and Kyrgyz Republic.
The CAHSS has the following objectives
- To contribute to the body of knowledge regarding interventions that contribute to strengthened health systems and improved health status (through production of publications in a variety of media).
- To contribute to accessible, policy-relevant knowledge translation (through production of knowledge translation/mobilization products and materials aimed at policy makers, program implementers, donors, etc.).
- To build implementation research capacity of partners in LMICs.
To apply for the research grant, the applicant team must be made up of a low-middle income country (LMIC) research partner (research institution, university or other); a Canadian or other high-income country (HIC) research partner (research institution, university or other) and a registered local/ international NGO or CSO (AKDN or non-AKDN) actively implementing activities in project target regions of Pakistan (Chitral, Gilgit-Baltistan), Afghanistan (Bamyan, Baghlan, Badakhshan), Tajikistan (Gorno-Badakhshan, Khatlon), and the Kyrgyz Republic (Naryn, Osh, Chong-Alai).
- Community-based Health Financing
- Community Engagement in Health Governance
Grant request can be made for up to CAD$200,000. Selected applicants will be called to submit full proposal after evaluation.
Note the Key Dates
- 21 September 2014 – Letters of Interest (LOI) submission deadline
- 10 November 2014 – Notification to selected applicants to submit full proposal
- 15 January 2014 – Full Proposal submission deadline
- 1 April 2015 – Research implementation will begin
- 31 January 2017 – Completion of research activities including dissemination and final reporting.
- Applications must be collaborative research teams composed of research agencies from both high income and low and middle income countries.
- Applicants must comprise of a local implementing partner actively working within Central Asia.
- Applicant team must include gender expertise and a mix of relevant technical expertise as required by the research area.
- Research studies must target on one of the three thematic areas stated above.
- Targeted geographical locations of the research must be select districts in Afghanistan, Kyrgyz Republic, Pakistan and Tajikistan.
- Applications must be submitted in English language.
For more information, please visit Request for Research Proposals.