Deadline: 20 June 2014
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is accepting grant applications from local independent non-governmental organizations around the world that are devoted to the promotion of political and economic freedom, a strong civil society, independent media, human rights, and the rule of law.
The NED is a United States initiative to strengthen democratic institutions throughout the world through private, non-governmental efforts. The foundation makes more than 1,000 grants to support the projects of non-governmental groups abroad who are working for democratic goals in more than 90 countries.
The NED grant program encourages proposals from organizations working in diverse environment such as newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions.
- Trade Union
- Other Private Sector Institutions
- Democratic Governance Political Process
- Political Parties
- Election Participation and Administration
- Public Policy and Information
- Strengthening Legislatures
- The Rule of Law and the Administration of Justice
- The Military and Democracy
- Education, Culture and Communication
- Independent Newspapers, Journals, and Other Communications Media
- Democratic Education
- Activities Directed at Strengthening Popular Understanding and Intellectual Advocacy of Democracy
- Research/International Forum for Democracy
- International Cooperation
- Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) – civic organizations, associations, independent media, and other similar organizations are eligible to apply for NED Grant.
- Individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions such as public universities are not eligible to apply.
- Proposals from local, independent organizations for non partisan programs promoting and defending human rights & rule of law are strongly encouraged.
Applications can be made via online application method, email or regular mail. Application materials include – proposal cover sheet, proposal narrative, proposal budget, and registration documents. In case of grant renewal proposals, applicants should include interim assessment along with other documents.
For more information on NED Grant, please visit Applying for NED Grant.